Monday, March 17, 2014

Is There Any Good In Goodbye?

A little precursor note for you:
Over the past year, it seems I’ve had a lot more goodbyes than hellos. 
I am abundantly grateful for the support I have, so I do not write about this season of goodbye fishing for sympathy/attention. 
Instead, I hope over the next few weeks, this blog can just turn into a classroom for both you and me as we share with one another what we have learned through loss and learn about how God sees it. 
My prayer is that we encourage one another (so please comment!) and that these posts bring us comfort and hope as we look to a day when we say "goodbye" to goodbye forever.


Why is the word “good” in goodbye?
Is there really ANY good in it? 
At face value, there doesn’t seem to be much.
In fact, I’d like to have a stern convo and a firm handshake with the person who created the word.

Sure, there are byes that are easily good.
No one cries when they say bye to braces, bye to acne, bye to the polyester gym shorts they made us wear in middle school P.E.
Those really are GOODbyes.

But then there are goodbyes that don't feel that good; they maybe feel okay. 
'Okaybyes.'
They are the byes that hurt but still leave you believing that life will be alright. 
I had some 'okaybyes' this year.

An 'okaybye' to a job that I loved for six years and a team I loved even more.
An 'okaybye' to my childhood home. I’m the nostalgic weirdo that has to say goodbye to inanimate objects. So I said goodbye to my room where my old Backstreet Boys poster hung and goodbye to the yard where we buried our retriever Molly.

Maybe you said an 'okaybye' to a friend who moved away, a lost piece of jewelry from your grandmother or said an 'okaybye' to college.
'Okaybyes' are more grey than dark. Light still creeps in from the end of the tunnel.

But what about the byes where light almost feels completely absent?
The byes that aren't good or okay. They are heart wrenching. 

The byes that make our stomach hurt.
The byes that seem too soon. 
The byes that leave a hole. 
The byes that empty out the Klenex box and fill our minds with questions.
The byes that make waking up the hardest decision of your life and brushing your teeth seem pointless.
Who cares?! They’re just stinkin’ teeth!


Those feel more like 'badbyes.'
How are we supposed to get through 'badbye'? It doesn't look as if any good is in them.

My husband lost his dad to brain cancer recently.
He was my husband’s hero and best friend, healthy, active, gentle and loving. 
And then all of a sudden … he was gone.
I remember walking through the grocery story right after his death thinking, “How can everyone be so normal right now? How can she be chatting on her phone and picking up a can of corn as if life is okay? It’s not!”
In my heart the world had stopped.
But I guess the world missed that memo.

You’ve had your own share of 'badbye.'
Maybe you’ve said byes that are much more often and much more painful than I.

So can there really be ANY good in it, any good in goodbye?

Well, s-l-o-w-l-y God is showing me some of the good - in the 'okaybyes' and even in the 'badbyes,' starting with the shortest verse in the Bible:

“Jesus wept.” (John 11:35)

I’ll go into why this verse has brought me comfort a little later. 
But for now, want to read the surrounding verses with me (John11:1-45)?

Over the next handful of posts, I'll be hanging out in John 11, pointing out some verses that have gone deep. 
Would love for you to hang out there with me as we talk about the hardship and even the beauty of goodbye.

(Would you like to join in on the conversation? What “goods” have you found in goodbye, if any at all?)


11 comments:

  1. I lost my father last october the same exact way brain cancer hes perfectly active and healthy and than all of a sudden he was like a child. My father was a man of god an example a friend a huge part of me. I also remember walking out of the hospital with my husband and telling him the same thing "look how the world continues to move around you as your own personal world has apparently stopped". But in the midst of my darkest hour god gave me joy and peace I experienced my closest profound moments with christ in my saddest goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for sharing that. So sorry to hear about your dad. It's just so sudden and unexplainable. And also so good to hear about the joy and peace you experienced. It's as if we don't know true joy and peace until we hit these crisis moments …
      Thanks again and can't wait to meet your dad in heaven

      Delete
  2. :( Love you, J.

    A couple thoughts came to mind when you asked for examples of good in goodbye.
    1. Relief and release. In the context of losing someone to terminal illness, they've likely been struggling and in pain. Rounds and rounds of treatments. Months or years worth of bad news, then good news, then bad again. A reward for God's people who have been enduring that pain is the sweet relief of leaving these bodies with all of their aches and problems. For the grieving family, a release of our need to control. While our sick loved ones are still breathing, even the best of those who can "give it to God" in prayer still search for practical things we can DO to heal the ailment. When life has left, we can embrace the fact that some things are truly out of our control and there's definitely some relief in that. Outside of that context (illness or disease), it could be a relationship that you cling to, but is ultimately unhealthy or damaging. Letting that person go may be hard, but a better life awaits in that release.
    2. Words. Permanent goodbyes or even temporary ones for this world provoke us to speak words that are significant, honest, and difficult to say. Knowing you have limited time with someone can lead to the most honoring, healing, restoring, and reconciling conversations you'll ever have. And when death comes as a surprise, the kind words spoken of the deceased are like a soothing balm on a wound to the family.
    3. Community. In my adult life, I haven't lost someone so close to me as Wes was to you. When I do, do you know who I'm going to call? You. I know you will be able to offer me wisdom and comfort and encouragement because you were there and you felt it and you know how this goes.
    4. Point our hearts toward heaven. Our eyes follow the soul leaving this earth up towards our King and we Praise God we are not made to be here forever. Praise God that ordinary life with its heartaches is not our end. Praise God for going before us into lonely places and being faithful to carry us out to the other side. Praise God for knowing what we need and giving so generously. Praise God.

    What a year, my dear. Love you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your 4 points Mama Moss. have you looked into being a Baptist preacher? so organized in your thoughts! no, but in all seriousness, i love these "goods" and will probably steal them for my follow-up posts. you have a way of empathizing with people and a thoughtfulness that has helped carry me through some of my really bad days. i'm so thankful for your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i lost one of my campers to suicide last week and it was very hard for me to accept the fact that the world wasn't going to stop even though my world came to a halt. it did however make me cling to the cross and all the promises that came from it. it wasn't the first unexpected death I've encountered in life but it definitely was the hardest, but the verse Jesus wept is the one that helped me feel comforted.

    My campers passing also really showed me how real death is and how heavy it can be- and then how cool it is Jesus overcame death.

    Other verses that have helped me is when it talks about God remembering people (Genesis 30:22 or 1 Samuel 1:19) because I know he is still going to fulfill his promises to me/us as well. He uses all bad for his good and is gonna wipe away every tear.

    Thanks for writing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing. how shocking and heartbreaking that must have been. tragic. thank you for opening up about the truth that has kept you afloat during such a hard time. i will look at the verses you recommended. praying for comfort over the family who lost that precious child

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna thank you so much for sharing in this space, a public blog, how hard this year has been for you. This post is so insightful and I've never thought about the context that 'good' was in such a painful word. I also think Laura's thoughts above are so dead on - any good I find in a goodbye is the intentional community that accompany's it. Love you friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i couldn't get through my badbyes without you. i cherish you triple C. you have cried with me and rejoiced with me in ways most don't know how. i love you

      Delete
  7. Jenna, it is so refreshing to read your words. Your writing is so obviously filled with sweet truth sent straight from the Spirit! This post was more than perfectly-timed; it was God-timed. I've had a rough year myself and, though it's not over yet, I'm starting to see God through the many bad-byes I've said this year. His everlasting promise (cited in my very favorite verse) to never fail us and never completely abandon us has constantly encouraged me. In the midst of Jeremiah's desperate lament, he writes in Lamentations 3:22-24 a promise of enduring hope and renewed forgiveness every morning. No matter how many leave us, God remains a faithful and eternal friend to whom we never have to say good-, okay-, or bad-bye to. I'm excited to hear the message that God wants to convey through you.
    Love you,
    Dee Young

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. delaney! you are so precious. thank you for those words. i don't know everything going on, but i can see how this year has been a turbulent one for you - your sister leaving, your grandpa passing. but you have a maturity in faith that is rare for someone your age. to have that kind of perspective that you shared in your comment amazes me. love you. i've loved seeing more of you this semester:)

      Delete
  8. Wonderful thoughts, and great discussions to flow from this post! I have had my share of goodbyes, some good ones and others terribly hard. I've thought that in all those 'byes' the more appropriate parting thought might be 'until next time'....not really truly ever knowing if the next greeting will be on this side of heaven or on the other side. It's an anticipation either way. Oh, and I had the same thoughts after having gone through a very sacred time...and walking through a store, wondering how people could be doing such 'daily' type normal things. There are surely stories all around us

    ReplyDelete